Top 10 places to get inspired in West Virginia
There’s inspiration at every turn in Almost Heaven. Whether it’s a beautiful piece or architecture or the highest point in the state overlooking mountainsides, you’re never far from the perfect view.
1. Dolly Sods Wilderness – Spanning across Grant, Randolph, and Tucker counties, Dolly Sods is the highest plateau east of the Mississippi River with altitudes reaching higher than 4,100 feet. For one of the most breathtaking views of the Mountain State, visitors can take Forest Road 75 along the ridge of the mountain to reach Bear Rocks Preserve – a 477-acre portion of Dolly Sods that is one of the most recognized and photographed areas in the state! The sandstone boulders mixed with the color of the brush and trees in fall make Dolly Sods stunning.
2. Seneca Rocks – The 900-foot rock formation oversees the North Fork River and surrounding valley. The commanding structure can be seen for miles and can be the perfect spot to reconnect with nature.
3. Coopers Rock – The main overlook just off the parking area at Coopers Rock State Forest offers a jaw-dropping view of the Cheat River Canyon. You can also hike the 1.5-mile Raven Rock Trail to survey the canyon from a different angle and get a close-up view of the towering formation known as Raven Rock.
4. Spruce Knob – Head to the top of Spruce Knob, the highest point in the state. An observation tower just beyond the parking area offers breathtaking views atop the 4,863-foot Spruce Mountain.
5. Blackwater Falls State Park – Located in the Allegheny Mountains of Tucker County, Blackwater Falls State Park is named for the amber waters of Blackwater Falls, a 57-foot cascade tinted by the tannic acid of fallen hemlock and red spruce needles.
6. Long Point Trail – Winding through Fayette County, Long Point Trail is a roughly three-mile trail located near Fayetteville. The trail leads visitors through the woods to arguably one of the most popular overlooks in the entire state! Once visitors have reached the Long Point rocks, they can take in the sights of the New River Gorge Bridge and the winding New River below it. Visitors seeking more engaging views around the New River Gorge can partake in a zipline canopy tour or a night zipline tour at nearby ACE Adventure Resort or Adventures on the Gorge.
7. Tamarack – Filled with local, West Virginia-made products, Tamarack is an artist’s dream. With bright, brilliant colors and incredible works of craftsmanship, there’s not another place more creatively inspirational.
8. The Greenbrier – If you’re wanting a taste of luxury, look no further than The Greenbrier. Filled with bold, brilliant colors and large prints, this luxury resort offers the finest in accommodations, dining and experiences.
9. The Capitol – Shining bright in gold, the Capitol is a beacon for all those coming to the capital city. The dome is gilded in 23 ½ karat gold leaf that has been applied to the copper and lead roof.
10. New River Gorge – Not only is the bridge spanning the New River Gorge beautiful, but you can also walk under it to get an up-close and personal view. The views are beautiful – from the top or bottom!Find more inspiration
This post was last updated on March 17, 2022