These West Virginia Chocolates Will Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth
Chocolatiers in West Virginia craft heavenly delicacies fit for royalty. Whether you’re looking for a tasty present for a loved one or a treat for yourself, these local chocolates are sure to please.
Holl’s crafts authentic Swiss chocolates in Vienna. Their retail shops in Vienna and Charleston still offer the same authentic chocolates Fritz Holl whipped up in the 50s when he immigrated here from Switzerland. Here are some of their best sellers:
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries– This seasonal treat is available April through July. The strawberries are hand-dipped in white fondant, followed by dark chocolate and the result is a plump, delicious berry treat.
- A Deluxe Collection– If you’re still getting to know your new love and you’re unsure what his or her favorite candies are, Holl’s has you covered. The Deluxe Collection is a variety box that contains up to 4 layers of Holl’s most popular truffles, caramels and nut butters.
- Milk Chocolate Almond Bark– Not really a box-of-chocolates type? Try this addictive snack. Freshly toasted vanilla-sugar almonds are drenched with sweet Swiss milk chocolate to create this perfect combination.
DeFluri’s opened in downtown Martinsburg in 1998. The family-owned chocolatier uses pure, natural ingredients to bring traditional artisanal candymaking practices to life. Each chocolate is crafted, decorated and inspected by real chocolate makers. Here are some of the favorites:
- Sea Salt Caramels– Classic chocolate and fresh cream caramels are topped with a light sprinkling of organic Pink Himalayan Sea Salt for a decadent dessert.
- Puppy Paws– These sweet little treats are made with fresh cream caramel, premium pecans and creamy milk chocolate that work together to create irresistible clusters.
- Spirited Celebration box– For someone who enjoys the finer things in life, this collection filled with Champagne, Grand Marnier, Amaretto, peach brandy and wine truffles is sure to impress. Each chocolate is beautifully decorated and wrapped in colorful foils using Defluri’s antique foil-wrapping machine.
3. Appalachian Chocolate Co.
Appalachian Chocolate Co. is based in Shepherdstown and creates organic, small batch chocolates made with fair-trade beans from Ecuador. Try some of these classics:
- Coffee Bars– The 70 percent cacao mini bars are infused with locally sourced coffee.
- 60% Milk Chocolate bar– The best-selling bar has creamy milk chocolate with a hint of dark chocolate.
- Bunnies– This seasonal treat comes in 60 percent milk chocolate and 80 percent dark chocolate.
This post was last updated on August 3, 2020