Randolph County Community Arts Center

2 Park St., Elkins

Built in 1928, the former St. Brendan’s Catholic Church, served the Catholic community until 1999. Walter F. Martens, the architect who designed the Governor’s executive mansion in Charleston, designed the church using a Romanesque Revival style. The building features locally quarried sandstone blocks on the outside with a border of stone relief angels around the entire building. In 2000, the Randolph County Community Arts Council purchased the building, renovating and reopening it in 2001. The original nave has been transformed into “The Great Hall,” retaining the beautiful original lighting fixtures and religious icons. The Arts Center hosts exhibits, concerts and more than 100 art and music classes each year. (Listed NRHP 2006)