Philippi Covered Bridge & Historic DistrictPhilippi Historical Society Museum / 200 N. Main St., Philippi
The city of Philippi was the site of the first land battle of the Civil War on June 3, 1861. Built in 1852, the bridge was heavily utilized by both armies during the Civil War. During the battle, Union troops took control of the bridge and used it as a barracks. Severely damaged by fire in 1989, the bridge has been restored to its original appearance. It is one of the few such covered bridges still in use as a part of the federal highway system.