Lewis Theatre113 N Court St., Lewisburg
The Lewis Theatre was designed in functional, post deco style by R.L. Whitten, Architect, Charleston,
WV and constructed in 1939 for presenting film and “small” vaudeville. This two-story, longitudinally symmetric theatre is built primarily of hollow, glazed terra cotta block, popular from about 1900 into the 1930’s. The front was originally faced at street level with black Vitrolite slabs, shown in historic photos along with the original marquee. The Lewis has operated continuously since completion, serving the local community and visitors. The building is open a half hour before films and by appointment. The Trillium Performing Arts is now the company in residence. www.trilliumperformingarts.org (Listed NRHP 1978).