A town forged in history. Rich in culture. Abundant with experiences. Harpers Ferry is the ideal destination for travelers of all types. The town is situated at the confluence of the Shenandoah and Potomac rivers and features some of West Virginia’s most unique history. Explore the streets of the town and trace your way through key moments of early American history. Experience exquisite dining, locally owned shops, extraordinary museums, scenic hiking trails and so much more. Located just one hour outside of Washington D.C., Harpers Ferry is easily accessible and an experience you won’t forget. Many prominent figures in American history have visited Harpers Ferry over the years, and Thomas Jefferson once wrote that the view from Harpers Ferry was “one of the most stupendous scenes in nature.” Visit Harpers Ferry and discover its natural beauty and small-town charm for yourself.
- Take in the Shenandoah River vista from the steps of the historic St. Peter’s Roman Catholic Church atop Harpers Ferry. Learn about the important roles the church has played over the years, including its stint as a hospital during the Civil War.
- Learn the incredible story of John Brown and his raid on Harpers Ferry at John Brown’s Fort. Visit the spot where John Brown made his stand and helped spark the beginning of the Civil War.
- Harpers Ferry is a part of Harpers Ferry National Historical Park which also encompasses land in the Shenandoah Valley in West Virginia, Maryland and Virginia.
- Walk your way through John Brown’s life and his raid on Harpers Ferry at the John Brown Wax Museum – located in a historic building that was standing during John Brown’s raid.
- Visit The Point and gaze upon West Virginia, Maryland and Virginia from where the Potomac and Shenandoah rivers meet.
- Visit the Appalachian Trail Conservancy Visitors Center to learn more about one of the most popular hiking trails in the world.
- Visit Jefferson Rock, named after Thomas Jefferson who visited the rock and wrote about it in 1783.
- Bask in the beautifully decorated streets of historic Harpers Ferry and delight in winter activities during the yearly Harpers Ferry Old Time Christmas.
- Honor legends of jazz and enjoy live music at the Don Redman Jazz Heritage Awards Concert.
- Enjoy unique films and incredible chili recipes at the Harpers Ferry Whitewater Film Fest & Chili Cookoff.
- Celebrate your love for outdoor recreation and environmental conservation at the Harpers Ferry Outdoor Festival.