Whitewater rafting just outside of Washington DC
If adventure is what you seek, then look no further than the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia. Experience the ultimate West Virginia adventure at River Riders in Harpers Ferry where they specialize in whitewater rafting and fun. Here, you can ride the rapids of the Shenandoah and Potomac rivers for a thrill and a memory that will last a lifetime. If whitewater rafting is a little too adventurous for you, don’t fret: River Riders also offers flat water tubing, which can only be described as fun relaxation in the sun surrounded by the beautiful scenery of the Mountain State.
Dining in the Eastern Panhandle is an experience in itself. Fill up on delicious foods after your whitewater adventures at these places:
- If you’re craving pizza, Andy’s Pizza in Ranson is your place. At Andy’s Pizza they serve mouthwatering mac and cheese bites, jalapeno poppers, meat lovers pizza, veggie lovers pizza and many more delicious options.
- In Martinsburg, a stop at Blue White Grill is always a good idea. Here you can fill up on blueberry hot cakes, fried pickles, homemade lump crab cakes, country-fried steak and more
- Stop by Creekside Creamery Market and Café in Berkeley Springs for hand-dipped ice cream, sandwiches, salads, homemade soups, hot dogs, pizza and fresh-baked cookies and pies.
- In Jefferson County, try Alfredo’s Mediterranean Grille and Steakhouse in Charles Town where they serve incredible chicken cacciatore, veal marsala, crab bisque, fried calamari and more.
The Eastern Panhandles beautiful scenery provides visitors with many opportunities to escape the hustle and bustle of DC and let out their inner child. Visit these places if you’re looking for a little fun:
- For fun in many forms visit Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races for slots and table games, live thoroughbred horse racing and live shows and performances from some of your favorite musicians and performers.
- Head to Climbing New Heights in Martinsburg for indoor climbing where they also offer guided outdoor rock climbing in Harpers Ferry. Both are a fun way to spend a day and you might even pick up a new hobby.
- Visit the stunning Cacapon Resort State Park for a guided horseback riding experience you’ll never forget. You can ride horseback through the gorgeous park by day or even by moonlight for a truly unique experience.
- In Ranson, spend the day fishing from the scenic Shenandoah and Potomac rivers for a truly iconic West Virginia experience you’ll never forget.
In the Eastern Panhandle, there are may different places for you to get some shut eye after you’ve spent the day exploring this fun and beautiful region. From luxurious hotels to charming bed and breakfasts, this region truly has it all. Stay at these places for some peace and quiet:
- For a traditional hotel experience, stay in Ranson where the Holiday Inn Express and Home2 Suites are both conveniently located.
- In Martinsburg, stay at the Purple Iris a neo-Georgian Revival style 10,000 plus scare foot mansion that sits on 17 acres of beautifully landscaped grounds.
- Stay in one of the rustic cabins at Cacapon Resort State Park in Berkeley Springs where you’ll be surrounded by scenic beauty and outdoor adventures.
- For a luxurious experience, check into the Bavarian Inn in Shepherdstown. Here you can stay in one of the inn’s 72 upscale rooms with stunning views of the beautiful Potomac River.
What are you most excited to do in the Eastern Panhandle?
This post was last updated on March 1, 2022