West Virginia Chef Ambassador ProgramBold, rich flavors. Dishes made with locally grown food and flair. All cuisine in Almost Heaven is nothing short of divine, thanks to the chefs that proudly call West Virginia home.
Since there is no one better qualified than the individuals crafting mouthwatering dishes in kitchens across West Virginia, Governor Justice announced that the Department of Tourism is launching a new Chef Ambassador Program. The West Virginia Chef Ambassador program will feature outstanding West Virginia-based chefs to promote the state’s fine dining, local eats and authentic Appalachian flavors.
How to Participate
Interested in becoming a chef ambassador or know someone else that should be considered for this program? Simply complete the nomination for below and you are well on your way! We’re looking for the best chefs in each of our travel regions that embody the spirit of Almost Heaven in the culinary sector.
Chef ambassadors will be chosen based on the following criteria:
- Currently employed in the food service industry in West Virginia as a chef, sous chef or pastry chef.
- Has been actively involved and employed in the food service industry for a minimum of three years.
- Demonstrates leadership, creativity, innovation and culinary excellence in their workplace.
- Supports West Virginia agriculture by incorporating locally sourced ingredients into their menu and inspired dishes true to Almost Heaven.
- Engaging personality with media, during demonstrations and special events.
Roles and Responsibilities
As an ambassador you will be assigned to represent your travel region of West Virginia and serve a one-year term. Chef ambassadors will be expected to present at and contribute to many discussions, events and opportunities. Above all, chef ambassadors will serve as representatives for West Virginia’s thriving food industry.
A few roles and responsibilities for each chef ambassador as as follows:
- Host two educational events in respective region and share tips, trends and information that will help grow and elevate West Virginia’s food industry.
- Participate on the West Virginia Department of Tourism’s social media platforms in the form of Facebook/Instagram Live Q&As as well as Instagram takeovers at least once monthly.
- Film three cooking demonstrations videos to be featured on the Tourism Office’s YouTube channel.
- Assist the Department of Tourism with any media days that require food demonstrations.
- Compose a minimum of three blog posts for WVtourism.com.
- Create a food trail in your region to be featured on WVtourism.com based on your culinary specialty.
- Assist the Department of Tourism in planning and hosting two culinary-based FAM trips to promote West Virginia as a food destination.
- Chef ambassadors will work on farm-to-school initiatives with the West Virginia Department of Education and Office of Nutrition to promote healthy eating to students and staff.
- Chefs will visit at least three schools in their area and discuss the importance of healthy eating and lifestyles to students and staff.