Try these six Almost Heaven Activities While Social Distancing
Running out of things to do? Try these six Almost Heaven activities while practicing proper social distancing. From trying a new delicious West Virginia recipe to simply going for a run by yourself with the state’s beautiful scenery as your backdrop. Now is the time to try a new West Virginia activity or enjoy an old favorite such as curling up with a good book.
1. Curl up with a book about West Virginia
Sometimes reading a good book can get pushed to the wayside, but now is a great time to rediscover the joy of reading an incredible book. To get you started, here are some books about West Virginia and books by West Virginia authors; Rocket Boys by Homer Hickam, The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls and The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck. Find more classic West Virginia books and children’s books here.
2. Experience nature and discover a national river or national recreation area
Breathe in some fresh air and head to a national river or a national recreation area. With hiking and biking trails, fishing spots and other outdoor activities available these areas are great for experiencing the outdoors without crowds.
At the New River Gorge National River outdoor activities such as climbing, biking, hiking and fishing are available. Hiking at the New River Gorge National River is an incredible adventure. Hiking trails here go through beautiful forests, lead to scenic overlooks and historic scenery can be found along the way.
Visit the Gauley River National Recreation Area for outdoor adventures, stunning views and most importantly the chance to relax and unwind in nature. Grab your fishing gear and discover why fishing is one of the most popular activities on the Gauley River. At the Gauley River, anglers have the opportunity to catch trout, smallmouth bass, walleye, and muskellunge. Make sure you have your West Virginia fishing license before you go.
3. Go for a hike or run by yourself on an Almost Heaven trail
It’s always important to get some exercise and fresh air. In West Virginia a run or hike is accompanied by stunning scenery. Simply take a run through your neighborhood or visit a nearby rail trail for the chance to clear your mind. Try the North Bend Rail Trail or the Greenbrier River Trail for solitude, stunning views and mountain air.
4. Get takeout from a West Virginia restaurant you’ve never tried
If you’ve always wanted to try a certain West Virginia restaurant but have never had the chance now is the time. Use our Interactive Dining Guide to find an up-to-date list of restaurants that are actively providing carry out, drive-thru or delivery services. Choose which restaurants you’d like to try and order today for a taste of Almost Heaven. You many just find a new favorite restaurant along the way.
5. Find a West Virginia activity the whole family will enjoy
While you’re inside, complete this Almost Heaven Hidden Picture activity. Simply save the photo to your phone and see what animals you and the kiddos can find. This is a perfect activity to do with the whole family.
6. Try making an Almost Heaven recipe
If you’re in need of some inspiration in the kitchen try making a tasty Almost Heaven recipe. Whether you’re looking for comfort food, a sweet and savory dessert or want to try a West Virginia staple, an incredible recipe awaits. Try the recipe below to make delicious pepperoni rolls and discover more West Virginia recipes here.
- 12 frozen dinner roll dough balls, defrosted according to package directions
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 12 slices deli pepperoni
- 3 slices mozzarella cheese, cut into four squares each
- oregano, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Press or roll dough balls into circles at least 1/4-inch bigger than the diameter of your pepperoni. (Try to avoid using flour on your surface, which will make the dough harder to pinch closed.)
- Mix beaten egg with Parmesan and spread a heaping teaspoon of the mixture over each circle, leaving at least 1/4-inch around all sides.
- Top with pepperoni and two squares of mozzarella. Sprinkle with oregano.
- Roll tightly, tuck in ends, and press all edges tightly with your fingertips until well-sealed.
- Place rolls on the baking sheet, brush with olive oil, and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack. Serve warm or cold with pizza sauce on the side for dipping.
This post was last updated on August 6, 2020