The unofficial start to summer in West Virginia
Summer is just around the corner! And West Virginia is the place to be. This season is truly a magical time: festivals, concerts, baseball games, farmers markets, a day out on the lake–what more could you ask for?
Summer unofficially kicks off on Memorial Day weekend, which is an important day where we remember the people who have made the ultimate sacrifice serving in our country’s armed forces. Around the state, you’ll find small towns and big cities alike honoring these brave people. One of the largest Memorial Day celebrations is the Grafton Memorial Day Parade. The parade follows a route that was established in 1890. Grafton and Taylor county residents take pride in participating in this parade, which has become the nation’s longest continuous running Memorial Day parade and services.
That is just a small taste of what summer is like in West Virginia. Throughout the state you can find some unique and fun events and festivals!
May Festivals & Events
- Vandalia Gathering, Charleston – The Vandalia Gathering is the perfect event to have a great time and enjoy some amazing music. This event brings together the finest traditional Appalachian musicians for a weekend of picking. Attendees can enjoy fiddle, banjo mandolin and guitar contests outside during the day and concerts in the State Theater in the evenings.
- Mountain Music Festival, Minden – For a weekend of amazing music and outdoor adventure, the Mountain Music Festival is a must. With over 25 bands on four stages at the incredible ACE Adventure Resort, this festival will be a highlight of the spring/summer season.
- West Virginia Strawberry Festival, Buckhannon – The West Virginia Strawberry Festival is a nine-day extravaganza of fun dedicated to honoring the strawberry harvest. Street parties, parade, strawberry auction, car show and band competition, this festival is perfect for a weekend of family friendly fun.
June Festivals & Events
- Color the River, Hinton – What’s better than a day spent floating on the river? A day spent floating on the Greenbrier River with all of your friends! The Color the River festival is an event in June where hundreds of people gather on the Greenbrier River for a day of floating and fun. Bring your paddle boards, canoes, kayaks, duckies and inner tubes for an amazing day.
- Wanderlust Festival, Snowshoe – For a more relaxed experience try the Wanderlust Festival at Snowshoe Mountain Resort for a weekend of mindful living. This festival will have yoga and meditation instructors, musical performers, speakers, artists and chefs for an experience that you mind, body and soul will never forget.
- FestivALL, Charleston – No summer is complete without attending FestivALL. FestivALL is a 10-day festival that includes 100 incredible events, performances and exhibitions. Enjoy music, theater, dance, visual art, humanities and more that take place in over 30 indoor and outdoor venues around Charleston.
All around the state businesses are gearing up for the summer season, so don’t miss out! What are you most excited to do this summer?
This post was last updated on March 17, 2022