West Virginia has rightfully earned the title of “Wild and Wonderful.” Hunting is a tradition that runs deep in Appalachian culture. For hunters, West Virginia is an oasis containing an abundance of challenging game to hunt.
Before you make your way into the woods of Almost Heaven for a hunt, make sure you know the best locations, regulations and dates throughout the year. With a proper license from WV Division of Natural Resources, West Virginia state forests are open to hunting during both small and big game seasons and make for an adventurous hunting destination.Hunting Dates Hunting Regulations
In the course of the past year, the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources (DNR) officials have partnered with The Conservation Fund to acquire 31,218 acres of public land. Located mainly in the west-central region of the state—the properties are in Calhoun, Doddridge, Jackson, Pleasants, Ritchie, Wirt and Wood counties.
State forests offer wonderful public hunting opportunities:
- Cabwaylingo State Forest
- Calvin Price State Forest
- Coopers Rock State Forest
- Greenbrier State Forest
- Kanawha State Forest
- Kumbrabow State Forest
- Panther State Forest
- Seneca State Forest
While state parks are closed to public hunting, many are located near wonderful public hunting lands. Several state parks offer controlled deer hunting opportunities during designated time periods by application only:
- Beech Fork State Park
- Cacapon Resort State Park
- Canaan Valley Resort State Park
- North Bend State Park
- Pipestem Resort State Park
- Twin Falls Resort State Park
- Watoga State Park
Looking for some places to hunt? Here are 3 spots known for incredible hunting opportunities:
- Mountain Meadow Hunting Preserve in Greenville is a privately owned and operated high fenced hunting preserve that offers big game hunts for trophy whitetail deer, fallow deer, red stag, and wild boar.
- Land Baron Outfitters in Palestine is one of West Virginia’s best hunting farms. Land Baron Outfitters provides whitetail deer and turkey hunts with exclusive access to over 236 acres of property.
- Wilderness Ridge Farm located in Southside provides 100 acres of private hunting on their family farm as well the opportunity to lodge in their 1,250 sq. ft. log cabin. At Wilderness Ridge Farm you can hunt for whitetail deer, turkey, rabbit, squirrel, waterfowl and other small game.
It’s important to note that hunting regulations are subject to change check www.wvdnr.gov/ for the most up-to-date hunting information.
Retreat into the wilderness and you’ll find a vast population of challenging game to hunt.
Build Your Spring Bucket List
Spring is the perfect time to get out and explore all that Almost Heaven, West Virginia has to offer. From outdoor recreation and jaw-dropp…Read More
8 Spots To Find Fall Adventure
Getting out and exploring is always an appealing option in Almost Heaven—but when the summer heat cools off fall adventure really takes o…Read More
Turn Game Day into a West Virginia Weekend Getaway
College football season is in full swing throughout the Mountain State. Whether you’re a Mountaineer or a member of the Thundering Herd – or…Read More
4 Ways to Spend Thanksgiving in West Virginia
Thanksgiving in West Virginia is time for family and fun. From exploring waterfalls to preparing meals in a cozy cabin, enjoy these activiti…Read More
Spring Turkey Season: Key Things to Know in West Virginia
While spring brings opportunity for outdoor activities like hiking, fishing and rafting, it also brings the opportunity for hunting. Spring…Read More
Travel every Almost Heaven region
Each region in Almost Heaven is home to beautiful sites. From gentle rolling farmland to deep gorges and canyons, the unique experiences in …Read More
Have you been to West Virginia’s six national parks?
National parks offer incredible opportunities to experience history, explore the state’s natural beauty and venture to gorgeous places you’v…Read More
Did you know about West Virginia’s bow-only hunting?
While West Virginia is known statewide for its incredible hunting seasons, several southern counties stand out for one interesting reason. M…Read More