West Virginia Earns Several Best of the Blue Ridge Awards
More than 20 West Virginia destinations, businesses and events win Best of the Blue Ridge Readers’ Choice Awards
CHARLESTON, W.Va. – Twenty-three West Virginia scenic spots, businesses, people and events have been named as the “Best of the Blue Ridge” in Blue Ridge Outdoors Magazine 2021 “Best of the Blue Ridge” readers’ choice awards.
“I’m thrilled – but not surprised – to see so many of our great businesses and attractions receiving this recognition,” Tourism Commissioner Chelsea Ruby said. “These awards speak to the hard work, hospitality and impeccable service offered by so many tourism destinations across the state. Congratulations to all of this year’s award recipients.”
A number of West Virginia outdoor attractions won titles in the “destinations” category, including best bike park, best place to stargaze, best climbing crag and best ski run.
Thanks to West Virginia’s world-renowned outdoor recreation many of the state’s events also placed based on prior year experiences, including best bike race, best climbing event and best fly fishing event.
“Travelers from across the globe continued to be inspired by everything that West Virginia has to offer,” Ruby said. “As travel begins to pick back up in 2021, I believe folks will choose to visit our great state and will immediately understand why John Denver coined it Almost Heaven fifty years ago.”
In addition to the 23 winners, many West Virginia attractions placed as second or third runners-up. West Virginia winners include:
- Best Ski Resort— Snowshoe Mountain Resort
- Best Whitewater— Gauley River
- Best Waterfall— Blackwater Falls
- Best Kid-Friendly Adventure— ACE Adventure Resort
- Best Running Event (Less than 13.1 miles)— Blackwater Canyon Half Marathon
- Best Bike Race— Canaan Mountain Bike Festival
- Best Climbing Event— Craggin’ Classic
- Best Fly Fishing Event— Greenbrier River Fly Fishing Classic
- Best Spirit— Contraction, Smooth Ambler Spirits
- Best Brunch Spot— The French Goat
- Best Vegetarian Menu— The Wild Bean
- Best Bike Park— Snowshoe Mountain Resort
- Best Biking Trail— Greenbrier River Trail
- Best Birdwatching Spot— Hanging Rock Raptor Observatory
- Best Climbing Crag— Seneca Rocks
- Best Place to Stargaze— Green Bank Observatory
- Best Place to Watch the Sunset— Dolly Sods Wilderness
- Best Running Trail— Greenbrier River Trail
- Best Ski Run— Cupp Run, Snowshoe Mountain Resort
- Best Terrain Park— Snowshoe Mountain Resort
- Best Raft Guide— Tristan Moore, ACE Adventure Resort
- Best Environmentalist— Gene Kistler, Water Stone Outdoors
- Weirdest Festival— Roadkill Cook-Off
To review a complete list of this year’s winners, click here.
Be sure to pick up a copy of Blue Ridge Outdoors Magazine’s February 2021 edition for more information on this year’s recipients.
About West Virginia Tourism Office
The West Virginia Tourism Office, an agency of the West Virginia Department of Commerce, aims to promote West Virginia as a leading four-season travel destination and top state in which to live, work and retire.
Known as the Mountain State, West Virginia is one of the most scenic states in the nation and is home to the beautiful Monongahela National Forest, six national parks, and 45 state parks and forests. In addition to its majestic mountains and rolling hills, West Virginia is full of rich historic sites, enchanting art galleries, charming towns and an immense sense of belonging found only in its heaven-like landscapes.
For more information about West Virginia and to plan your trip, visit www.WVtourism.com.
This post was last updated on March 9, 2021