Two new cascades added to West Virginia Waterfall Trail
Popular trail exceeds 60,000 check-ins with visitors from 49 states & 23 countries
Charleston, W.Va. –– The West Virginia Waterfall Trail has added two sets of falls, Cranberry Creek Cascades and Little Whitestick Falls, part of the newly opened Piney Creek Preserve and Recreational area in Raleigh County. The waterfall trail has added eleven cascades over the past six months with more plans to expand in the near future.
“When we announced the waterfall trail last summer, we never imagined the excitement it would generate,” said West Virginia Tourism Secretary Chelsea Ruby. “The West Virginia Land Trust and City of Beckley deserve huge accolades for making these gorgeous falls accessible to outdoor enthusiasts via the brand new Piney Creek Preserve and Recreational Area. I’m eager for West Virginia Waterfall fans to start making their way to this amazing preserve, along with the additions to the trail in Raleigh County.”
The newest falls are both unique in their own way. Little Whitestick Falls is tucked away on a serene, fern-lined trail, at the confluence of Little Whitestick Creek. Cranberry Creek Cascades are a little further up the trail and feature a series of layering cascades gushing over the slippery rocks of Cranberry Creek. The waterfalls can be accessed by the Wildwood Trailhead, which hosts the Waterfall Hollow Trail. The trail was constructed in a partnership between the West Virginia Land Trust and the City of Beckley.
The West Virginia Waterfall Trail is a hit among locals and visitors alike with 63% of check-ins coming from out-of-state visitors, and the remaining 37% from West Virginia residents. With four dozen stops across the state, the trail has seen participation from visitors from 49 states and 23 countries.
Most Visited Falls
The five most visited falls on the trail are Kanawha Falls, Cathedral Falls, Blackwater Falls, Elakala Falls and Mill Creek Falls of Hawks Nest, which together account for over 18,000 of the total check-ins. Saturday continues to be the top performing day for waterfall trail visitation and participation.
Hidden Gem Waterfalls
A few of the lesser-known, hidden gem falls along the trail include Seneca Falls, High Falls of the Cheat, Loopemont Waterfall, Parkinson’s Waterfall and Whitaker Falls. When visiting these sets of cascades, you’ll understand what makes each of them so special––they may even become your new favorites.
“Our research continues to be proven true – folks really love waterfalls and they will plan trips around them. If you haven’t downloaded your waterfall passport yet, I encourage you to do so and start chasing our world class falls here in Almost Heaven this fall,” said Ruby.
As the first waterfall trail in the country, the West Virginia Waterfall Trail has received tremendous national recognition, such as features in top-tier travel publications, including Travel + Leisure, Southern Living, USA Today, and Fodor’s Travel. Each publication shares in the excitement of this interactive way to help visitors find the beautiful, hidden gem falls that lie within the Mountain State.
Plan your trip today
Checking into the Waterfall Trail is a simple process made possible by Bandwango, a travel technology platform that makes checking in at each location quick and easy. To get started, visit WVtourism.com/waterfalls and register to have the West Virginia Waterfall Trail passport delivered straight to your smartphone. As travelers explore each of the more than two dozen waterfalls featured on the trail, they can stamp their passports by checking in at each location.
The West Virginia Department of Tourism is rewarding waterfall chasers with exclusive gear along the way:
- Check in at three or more waterfalls –– receive a custom sticker.
- Check in at 10 or more waterfalls –– receive a waterfall water bottle.
- Check in at 20 or more waterfalls –– receive a waterfall wanderer t-shirt.
- Check in at all locations –– receive a custom waterfall-inspired letterpress print from Base Camp Printing Co.
For more information on the trail or to learn more about nominating a waterfall, visit WVtourism.com/waterfalls.
To access the waterfall trail media kit, click here. Photo credit: West Virginia Department of Tourism
This post was last updated on October 19, 2023