Plan Ahead: The Ultimate 2022 Vacation Bucket List
Are you coming into the new year with a slew of vacation days burning a hole in your pocket? Or has the late winter burnout already settled upon you? No matter what is inspiring your wanderlust, your dream vacation awaits in West Virginia.
From rustic adventures to luxurious getaways—rest assured your planning ends here, with this ultimate collection of Almost Heaven road trips. Celebrate National Plan For Vacation Day (January 25, 2021) the right way: by penciling in your next getaway.
1. From the town to the trail
A Scenic Drive to One-of-a-Kind Experiences in West Virginia
A drive along the western side of West Virginia is not only stunningly beautiful—with plenty of river views and towering mountain ranges—it is also full of hidden gems and unexpected surprises.
- The Blennerhassett Hotel, Parkersburg
- Mothman Statue, Point Pleasant
- Blenko Glass Company, Milton
- Capitol Market, Charleston
- Bearwallow Trail, Logan
2. Water-filled fun in the sun
Lakes and Lighthouses Galore in the Heart of West Virginia
Winding your way along gentle mountain roads, this trip will take you to some of the state’s most famous—and most scenic—rivers, lakes and streams.
- Audra State Park, Buckhannon
- Lambert’s Vintage Winery, Weston
- Stonewall Resort State Park, Roanoke
- Burnsville Lake, Burnsville
- Carnifex Ferry Battlefield State Park, Summersville
- Summersville Lake, Summersville
3. Foodie finds
A Foodie’s Long Weekend Road Trip in West Virginia
If a colorful plate full of Almost Heaven flavor is on your list this season, get ready to hit the road for a foodie adventure.
- Hill and Holler, Lewisburg
- Bridge Brew Works, Fayetteville
- Siriannis Cafe, Davis
- The Press Room , Shepherdstown
- Shepherdstown Sweet Shop Bakery, Shepherdstown
4. Historic sights and stays
You Can Take a Drive and a Dip Along this Historic Loop
Just a short drive outside of the Washington and Baltimore metro areas, this loop through West Virginia’s Eastern Panhandle is both a relaxing and enlightening weekend getaway.
- Historic Berkeley Springs, Berkeley Springs
- Bavarian Inn, Shepherdstown
- Harpers Ferry National Historical Park, Harpers Ferry
- Orr’s Farm Market, Martinsburg
- Capon Springs & Farms, High View
5. Mountain town magic
Check Out These Charming Small Towns in Almost Heaven
This stretch, from Lewisburg up to Marlinton, is sure to give you that pure, heartwarming experience that everyone loves about a small town.
- The Greebrier, White Sulphur Springs
- The French Goat, Lewisburg
- Hawk Knob Cider & Mead, Lewisburg
- Lost World Caverns, Lewisburg
- Beartown State Park, Renick
6. Boozy stops & scenic overlooks
A Trip to Morgantown and Fairmont Will Make You Feel Like a Real Mountaineer
Only a short drive over the Pennsylvania border, cities like Morgantown and Fairmont offer both the friendly intimacy and bustling activity that only college towns can provide.
- Forks of Cheat Winery, Morgantown
- Coopers Rock State Forest, Bruceton Mills
- Muriale’s Italian Kitchen, Fairmont
- Short Story Brewing, Rivesville
- West Virginia Botanic Garden, Morgantown
7. Iconic adventures
Get a True Taste of West Virginia Along this Memorable Route
Less than three hours outside Roanoke, this stretch of West Virginia is unlike anything you’ve ever seen before.
- New River Gorge National Park & Preserve, Glen Jean
- ACE Adventure Resort, Oak Hill
- Pies & Pints, Fayetteville
- New River Gorge Bridge Walk, Lansing
- Hawks Nest State Park, Ansted
Does this fun-packed list have you ready to keep the vacation magic going? Explore the endless destinations that await your arrival in West Virginia this year.
This post was last updated on May 17, 2023