Love in the Mountains: the 3 sweetest, most secluded dates
Spending time with loved ones is the best way to connect and share in life’s simple pleasures. For a truly intimate getaway, head to the rolling mountain countryside of West Virginia.
We’ve chosen the most romantic West Virginia getaways, based on ambience and privacy. Few trips are more endearing than sharing a remote hideaway with spectacular views.
1. B&Bs in the hills
West Virginia has a large network of historic and charming B&B’s where you can relax in comfort and be pampered by your hosts. These are a few cozy picks:
- HillBrook Inn & Spa, Martinsville – This historic Inn features luxurious rooms, spa services and on-site fine dining.
- The Laurel Lodge, Harpers Ferry – This charming arts and crafts bungalow is located right beside Harpers Ferry National Historical Park.
- Aspen Manor, Wellsburg – Relax in the themed rooms, designed with turn-of-the-century craftsmanship, and explore the surrounding 600-acre preserve.
- Angel Band Farm, Phillipi – Right along the banks of the Tygart River, this farmland inn serves cocktails on the porch.
2. Cabin Getaways
Whether you sit on the porch on a warm summer evening, or snuggle by the fire, a cabin in the woods is about as romantic as a getaway gets. A couple of charming options:
- Watoga State Park, Marlinton – The charming stone and log cabins are privately located, and the park offers fun outdoor activities for couples, like hiking, fishing and swimming.
- Opossum Creek Retreat, Fayetteville – Relax and enjoy mountain living in the New River Gorge. The cabins at Opossum Creek Retreat have large porches, fireplaces and personal hot tubs. They’re tucked into the forest, but close to the small-town charm of Fayetteville.
- Grand Vue Park, Moundsville– Choose from deluxe and traditional cabins, and venture out to enjoy yoga, hiking or watching the wildlife at the park’s bird feeders.
- Jerry Stout Cabins, Georgetown– Enjoy all the amenities of home tucked into the forest near Stonewall Lake, where you can enjoy a day of boating together before heading back to the fire pits to cozy up.
3. Mountain wineries & spirits
Winery tours and tastings are a fun couples outing. You can enjoy a scenic drive, drink hand-crafted wines and chat with the the locals. With wineries all over the state, you are bound to find one close to you, or you can plan your own West Virginia winery tour. A few must-see’s:
- Forks of the Cheat Winery, Morgantown – This winery has amazing award-winning wines that you can enjoy along with the amazing riverside views from the deck.
- Daniel Vineyards, Crab Orchard – This winery makes fruit wines and ports that you can enjoy with some of their signature sweet treats.
- Heston Farm Winery & Distillery, Fairmont– Taste everything from sweet wine to mountain moonshines, then enjoy a dinner concert on the farmstead.
- Lambert’s Winery, Weston– Sip through award-winning bottles in this castle-like hand-cut stone winery, then sit on the porch and enjoy the view.
Where will you tuck away to on your West Virginia escape?
This post was last updated on April 9, 2018