According to legend, Dragon Boat racing originated in China more than 2,300 years ago. Chinese history describes the fourth century B.C. as the Warring States period; a time of shifting alliances and treachery.
The traditional dotting of the Dragon’s eye before dragon boat racing awakens the dragon and unleashes its fire, giving boats and their crews the strength of the dragon.
Location: Wheeling Heritage Port 12th & Water Street Wheeling, WV
8:00 am: Opening Ceremony
Group picture of all teams
8:15 am: First heat of teams to Marshaling Area
8:30 am: Race starts (Round 1)
10:30 am: Round 2 of Racing
12:00 pm: Lunch break
12:40 pm: First Heat in Final Round to Marshaling Area
1:00 pm: Final Rounds begin
2:00 pm: Award Ceremony
Overall Winners for Top 3 Teams &
Practices will run from Wednesday August 21st through Friday August 23rd. Each team will sign up for a 1 hour on-water practice where you will learn technique of paddling, commands and safety. It is important to have your team present for practice!
Each team will compete in two races in the morning. The course is 250 meters long and you will be paddling against the river’s current. The top 12 teams advance to the final heats that begin about 1 pm.
Before Practices and Race Day:
- Get prepared by hydrating and exercising in advance. Keep in mind this is an anaerobic sport. Hydration is very important.
- Be prepared for rigorous exercise.
- Before your practice session, you should know you will get wet.
- Please bring water into the boats at your practice and stay hydrated during the session.
- Practices and races will happen rain or shine. Lightning and other severe weather will delay practices or races.
- Learn more about dragon boat racing at www.racedragonboats.com.