Set on the rim of the wild and scenic New River Gorge, Fayetteville is an outdoor lover’s haven. This charming town is only minutes from the New River, a premier destination for whitewater rafters and fishermen, while its surrounding mountains are a favorite retreat for hikers, mountain bikers and rock climbers. Spend the day exploring the great outdoors and then venture into town for a relaxing evening of shopping and dining. Extend your adventure to a long weekend with a stay in a quiet cabin or a cozy bed and breakfast.
At the heart of town, boutique stores offer everything from outdoor gear to handcrafted collectibles. Local eateries like Pies and Pints, Secret Sandwich Society and Cathedral Café serve up hearty and delicious meals, and you can quench your thirst with a craft beer from Bridge Brew Works. Take a walking tour of the Historic District, which includes 75 historic homes and buildings and sites along the Civil War Trail. Settle in for some live music at one of the local whitewater outfitters, or take in a play at the Historic Fayette Theater. You’ll soon discover why Fayetteville was named one of the Coolest Small Towns in America!
- Encompassing more than 70,000 acres along the New River, the New River Gorge National River boasts numerous scenic overlooks and recreational opportunities, including hiking, biking, whitewater rafting and rock climbing.
- The 876-foot-high New River Gorge Bridge, opened in 1977, is one of the longest single-span arch bridges in the world.
- Bridge Walk is a guided tour of the catwalk beneath the New River Gorge Bridge.
- Built in 1937 and part of the West Virginia Historic Theatre Trail, Historic Fayette Theater stages 10 performances a year along with special nights by request.
- Adventures on the Gorge, ACE Adventure Resort and River Expeditions offer a variety of lodging and recreational activities including whitewater rafting, zipline and aerial adventures, mountain biking, and stand-up paddleboarding.
- Wild Blue Adventure Company provides scenic and stunt flights over the New River Gorge in a vintage Stearman Biplane.
- Bridge Day, held the third Saturday in October, is the largest single-day extreme sporting event in the world, during which thrill seekers come from all over to parachute or rappel off the bridge. Other events taking place the same weekend include Taste of Bridge Day, Bridge Day Chili Cookoff, Bridge Day 5K and Bridge Jam music festival.