2024 Tourism Day at the Legislature
Each year, representatives from the tourism industry gather together at the State Capitol Complex in Charleston for Tourism Day at the Legislature – an entire day dedicated to raising awareness about the significant economic and social impact tourism has in West Virginia. We hope you will mark your calendars and join us!
Monday, January 22, 2024
State Capitol Complex | Charleston, WV
9:00 a.m. – 12:00 noon
Please Note: Set-up for tabling begins at 7:30 a.m.
REGISTRATION IS OPEN
Registration for Tourism Day 2024 is officially open! If you have any questions, please reach out to Brenna Dugan, Brenna.C.Dugan@wv.gov.
We are working on putting together a comprehensive schedule for our partners. The schedule includes time in both the house/senate galleries, important meetings and an evening reception.
|7:30 a.m.||Set-up for Partners Begins||Capitol Complex, Upper & Lower Rotundas|
|9:00 a.m.||Tourism Day Booth Exhibitions Begin||Capitol Complex, Upper & Lower Rotundas|
|TBD||Resolution Reading, House||House Gallery|
|TBD||Resolution Reading, Senate||Senate Gallery|
|12:00 p.m.||Booth Exhibitions End||Capitol Complex, Upper & Lower Rotundas|
|12:00 p.m.||Individual Legislative Meetings Begin||Your Legislators’ Offices|
|5:30-7:30 p.m.||WVHTA Legislative Reception*|
*Separate registration is required.
Please note: The schedule is subject to change, so keep checking back!
Tourism Day FAQ
Have a question about participating in Tourism Day at the Legislature? Before you go, check out the answers to this list of frequently asked questions:
When do I need to be there?
Partners can access the Capitol Building and go through security starting at 7:45 a.m.
Beginning at 7:30 a.m., partners are invited to drop off materials for their table at the bus turnaround lane located off of Greenbrier Street beside the Culture Center before parking at metered spaces or Laidley Field. Maps will be circulated to those who register in advance, and Dept. of Tourism staff will be on-hand to help.
Read ‘Where Can I Park?’ below for more information on parking.
Make your way through security and check in with Department of Tourism staff at the East or West Wing public entrances. The East Wing entrance is facing California Avenue and the West Wing is facing the Culture Center.
All partners are encouraged to be in the Capitol and at their respective stations by 8:15 a.m. to ensure enough time to be completely set up by 9 a.m.
What do I need to bring?
The Department of Tourism will be providing 6-foot tables, 2 chairs, and nametags for each registered partner. Industry partners are responsible for providing their own tablecloths and extension cords as well as tape to sure cords if power is needed. Partners are more than welcome to bring regional items and collateral materials to give away. If you plan to bring a food item, we strongly encourage individually wrapped snacks.
Please note: Power access is limited. If you need access, please let us know in advance. This will be available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
How can I participate?
Tourism Day 2024 is packed with options for partners to participate.
- Represent Your Travel Region and Tourism Site at Your Exhibit Table – All partners will be organized by travel region, and we will provide signage showcasing each region. Making your table set-ups engaging for legislators and other partners who stop by is up it you!
- Take a Shift Greeting Legislators – We will have special tables set up on both East and West Wing entrances and are looking for partners to volunteer to staff these tables and greet legislators and dignitaries as they come and go throughout the day. Partners can sign up for shifts and are not required to stay in one location all day.
- Attend House or Senate Floor Sessions – At the start of each house and senate floor sessions, we’re looking for tourism partners to fill the galleries and be recognized by members of the Legislature.
- Visit Your Legislators – Partners are encouraged to connect and schedule meetings with your local legislators throughout the day to keep them in the loop with all you are doing!
Please see “How do I schedule time with my legislators?” below for more information
Where can I park?
Industry partners may park at Laidley Field or in metered parking on the Capitol grounds. If parking at Laidley, shuttle service will be available throughout the day and runs approximately every 10-15 minutes during the morning run and every 30 minutes during mid-day and afternoon runs.
The shuttle schedule is as follows:
- Morning: 6:00 a.m. to 9:15 a.m.
- Mid-Day: 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Afternoon: 3:00 p.m. to 5:15 p.m.
The shuttle route is as follows:
Laidley Field – Elizabeth Street
Laidley Field – Piedmont Road
Sydney/McClung St. Parking – 3-way stop at Piedmont Rd.
Capitol Parking Garage
Building 3 – Parking lot side MID-DAY & AFTERNOON RUN BEGINS HERE
Building 5 – Piedmont Road
Building 6 – California Avenue
Capitol Building – East Wing, California Avenue
Cultural Center/Bus Turnaround
Back to Laidley Field
For more information regarding the shuttle schedule, please call the Parking
Section at (304) 558-9093 or Piedmont Guard House at (304) 558-0248.
How do I schedule time with my legislators?
- Find the legislative districts you are located in here, if needed.
- Contact your legislators’ offices by email or phone to let them know that you will be attending Tourism Day on January 22, 2024 and would like to schedule time to meet with them in the afternoon.
- Having trouble finding their contact information? Call the toll-free number of West Virginia’s Legislative Information Office at 1-877-565-3447 for the officials’ Charleston telephone numbers.
QUESTIONS? WE CAN HELP!
For questions on the day, call or text (681) 459-0211.
If you have any questions about this year’s Tourism Day, please email Brenna Dugan, Partner Communications & Event Specialist, at Brenna.C.Dugan@wv.gov.
Thank you in advance for your participation and support!