10 cozy WV cabins and cottages for winter escapes
When a heavy snow blankets the ground and night falls early, there’s nothing like huddling around a crackling fire and sipping hot cocoa to warm up after a day of skiing or hiking in the woods. These cabins and cottages will make your winter escape Almost Heaven.
New River Gorgeous
Dozens of cabins and cottages provide quiet and convenient lodging just minutes away from the scenic New River Gorge and its numerous recreational offerings. Cozy but modern accommodations provide the perfect way to relax and unwind after an exciting day of rock climbing, zip lining or skiing, while great dining options abound in nearby Fayetteville.
1. Opossum Creek Retreat offers six cabins, some that can comfortably sleep up to 10 people, while its lodge-style Meadows House accommodates up to 20 and boasts a 1,000-square-foot great room that’s ideal for family reunions or company retreats. In their wooded, secluded settings, the cabins offer plenty of privacy as well as modern amenities like hot tubs, gas fireplaces, Wi-Fi access, TV and DVD players and fully equipped kitchens. Pets are permitted with prior arrangement, so bring Fido to play in the snow!
2. Country Road Cabins consists of 18 private cabins designed to accommodate everyone from couples to large families. The largest cabin sleeps 14. Two yurts — Love Shack and Sugar Shack — feature heart-shaped Jacuzzi tubs that are ideal for honeymooners. You can even stay in a genuine treehouse! Holly Rock Treehouse, accessible by a canopy bridge with a wraparound deck, sleeps two in its cozy studio layout. Amenities include full kitchens, central heat and cooling, Wi-Fi and TV/DVD. One cabin is designated pet-friendly.
Southern West Virginia Hospitality
You’ll find a variety of lodging options throughout Southern West Virginia that offer a private getaway with nearby access to outdoor recreation, shopping and dining.
3. Near Bluefield, Buffalo Trail Cabins cater to ATV riders year-round on the Hatfield-McCoy Pocahontas Trail nearby. Dozens of cabins and cottages can accommodate up to 12. Lodging ranges from lighted treehouses furnished only with mattresses (there’s a bathhouse nearby), to deluxe cabins complete with kitchens, baths, heat/AC and even satellite TV. Stay in your own private cabin while you enjoy the convenience of Buffalo Trail Restaurant & Brewery on the property, and you can even visit with the herd of buffalo on the premises.
4. West Virginia Farm Retreat offers a 100-year-old hand-built log cabin on the Bluestone River. The historic, 60-acre farmstead blends old-fashioned charm with modern convenience. Cabin amenities include Wi-Fi and TV, but this cabin’s most popular feature is its tin roof, which turns every rainfall into music. Nearby attractions include Pinnacle Rock State Park and Historic Bramwell.
5. If you prefer town life, you’ll love the cozy, attractive accommodations in historic Hinton. The Guesthouse Inn on Courthouse Square includes several homes that can be rented in full or by the individual suite. Amenities include a gourmet kitchen, solarium and wet bar. Or, for a more private setting, there’s the Cabin on Coney Island. Set at the confluence of the New and Greenbrier rivers, it’s accessible by watercraft only. Highlights of this cottage, which sleeps 10, include an outdoor fire pit and a large screened-in porch.
6. Foxwood Inn near Flat Top is the perfect getaway for skiers at Winterplace Resort. Foxwood House bed-and-breakfast can be rented by the individual suite or, for large groups, the entire 12,000-square-foot home is available. The luxurious accommodations include seven guest rooms (some with private baths), a cozy library, an elegant dining room and, for the musically inclined, a gallery with a baby grand piano. A wrap-around deck presents spectacular mountain views. Three additional homes on the property feature four to eight bedrooms, full kitchens and similar mountaintop views.
7. At the base of the Northern Panhandle in the wooded hills of Wetzel County, Lantz Farm & Nature Reserve is the perfect setting for youth organizations, family reunions and other large groups. Set on a 170-acre nature reserve, the property includes a farmhouse and dormitory with a full kitchen and room to sleep 30 people.
Nearby in Moundsville
8. If your trip includes a stop in the Ohio Valley, Bonnie Dwaine Bed and Breakfast can offer you comfort and relaxation. It’s a great spot to meet old friends and make new ones. All five guest rooms are tastefully decorated with a private adjoining bathroom. A gourmet breakfast is served on weekend mornings!
Lost in Hardy County
In the Eastern Panhandle just two hours from Washington D.C., Hardy County is ideal for a weekend jaunt. Country roads, rolling farmland and picturesque mountains set the backdrop for numerous cabins and cottages that afford privacy and seclusion yet are only a short drive from the George Washington National Forest and Lost River State Park. If you’re an antiques collector, you’ll want to browse the shops in Wardensville and Moorefield. The towns also feature art galleries, restaurants and even a brewery and winery.
9. The Cabin at Trout Run is sure to appeal to fishermen or anyone who just enjoys listening to the sounds of a babbling brook. The three-bedroom cabin sleeps six and has a wood-burning stove, full kitchen and laundry room, Wi-Fi and satellite TV. But its star attraction is the screened-in porch overlooking the picturesque Trout Run, which is stocked several times a year
10. If mountaintop views are your No. 1 priority, take a peek at Top-of-Mountain Cabin. An L-shaped deck and spacious sunroom offer amazing views and loads of natural lighting in this three-bedroom, mid-century modern house. Amenities include a full kitchen, wood-burning fireplace, cable TV and free Wi-Fi service.
Where will you be staying?Find more winter fun
This post was last updated on October 7, 2021