Southern West Virginia’s National ParkHome to scenic landscapes, endless opportunity for outdoor recreation and the sweetest southern charm, the New River Gorge National Park & Preserve is the epitome of adventure. Immerse yourself in one-of-a-kind experiences and heartwarming hospitality in America’s newest national park and its surrounding small towns. A fall unlike any other is just at your fingertips.
Here, exploring is never boring.
As fall sets in at the New River Gorge, it bestows breathtaking beauty that must be explored first-hand. Scenic overviews, colorful trails and rushing rapids will certainly leave a lasting impression.
Amidst this retreat, you’ll also find Fayetteville, a charming small town offering the coziest of stays to complement the most thrilling adventures – making for memories to last a lifetime.
request a free travel guide now
Before your trip, get to know the New River Gorge Area with these fun facts.
- The New River Gorge is the country’s 63rd national park. West Virginia became a state in 1863, so some now say 63 is the state’s lucky number!
- The New River is one of the oldest rivers in the world, some claim it to be the second oldest, aging between 10 and 360 million years old.
- The New River Gorge bridge is the 2nd highest steel arch in the United States and the 2nd longest single arch bridge in the world!
- The New River is approximately 320 miles long, traveling through North Carolina, Virginia and ending in West Virginia.
- The New River National Park & Preserve is home to more than 70,000 acres of public lands.
- The New River flows south to north, unlike most North American rivers.
- The ghost town of Thurmond was once one of the richest towns in West Virginia.
- TIME designated the New River Gorge as one of the World’s Greatest Places.
Want to Learn More? Meet the Area’s Experts.
Visit Southern West Virginia CVB
Southern West Virginia is an expansive region home to the New River Gorge National Park & Preserve. From exhilarating outdoor recreation opportunities to historic railroad towns, this area offers peak excitement and the experience of a lifetime. This corner of Almost Heaven certainly has something to offer every adventurer.
New River Gorge CVB
At the New River Gorge, exploration of all kinds is encouraged. Around every bend of the river or curve in a trail, there’s a new adventure. Explorers can take in scenic vistas from the end of a hike or reach new heights while scaling sandstone cliffs. This area also boasts unique, Appalachian-inspired flavor and a friendly atmosphere.
Teeming with lively restaurants, unique shops and cozy accommodations, Fayetteville offers an unforgettable basecamp for adventures in the New River Gorge. After a full day of exploration, rest easy in this charming mountain town.
Keep planning your adventure to the Gorge
5 days in the New River Gorge with kids
The New River Gorge isn’t just for adrenaline junkies. It’s a great place for family vacations, too. The New River Gorge-proper stretch…Read More
10 Adventure Destinations for your Fall Bucket List
Hoping to make this the year you hit all of those iconic fall locations in #AlmostHeaven? Use this list as your guide to the perfect autumn …Read More
5 Activities That Will Get You Outside this Fall
If you ask West Virginians, many will agree that the best time to be outdoors is in the fall. There is so much to see and do this season tha…Read More
5 exciting ways to explore WV history on an outdoor adventure
As John Denver said, “Life is old there, older than the trees.” But the wild, adventurous spirit is as youthful as ever. West Virginia …Read More
3 absolutely unforgettable scenic (and stunning!) plane rides
Zoom above untamed landscapes on a “Wild and Wonderful” scenic flight! Admit it: there’s only so much you can see from the driver’s…Read More
4 unique ways to experience fall foliage in Almost Heaven
There are not many things in this world as magical as fall in West Virginia. The changing hue of the leaves and shrubbery across the state m…Read More