Winter brings out the best of warm drinks, sweet treats and comfort food in Almost Heaven. Whether you spend the day on the slopes or snuggled in a cozy cabin, these winter flavors will tickle your taste buds. Relax fireside with these delicious bites and sips for a magical winter in West Virginia.
Wine & Spirits
Full-bodied wines and bold spirits can help take the chill out of the air during the winter months in Almost Heaven. These winter warmers can be created with local liquor, like vodka, brandy or bourbon, for a unique West Virginia flavor.
Enjoy strong, hearty red wines or smooth, white wines this winter. Simmer your favorite red wine with apple cider, honey, cinnamon sticks, cloves, and orange for a comforting mulled wine to sip as the snowflakes fall outside.
Try these wines:
- Batton Hollow Winery’s Winter White comes in a vibrant cobalt-blue bottle
- Try Chestnut Ridge Winery’s White Cranberry, which channels the sweet and tart flavor of cranberries in a white wine.
- Daniel Vineyards‘ Mulled Wine uses a bottle of their 08 St. Vincent wine. Simmer ½ cup water, ½ cup sugar, 2 sticks of cinnamon and 6 cloves for 10 minutes. Add the wine, and the peels from 1 lemon and 1 orange. Let it sit for 1 hour on very low heat, strain and serve warm.
Winter craft beverage options include traditional, homemade eggnog, hot toddies with a lemon slice garnish, and martinis or mimosas made with cranberry. For extra festivity, top with candy canes, peppermint bark, cinnamon sticks or mini gingerbread men.
Try this specialty:
- Smooth Ambler Hot Appalachian Irish Cider: ¾ cup Smooth Ambler Old Scout Bourbon, ¼ cup Irish whiskey, 1 bottle hard cider, 1 cinnamon stick, 1.5 cloves, a dash of allspice and 1 orange peel. Lightly boil, then steep cider, cinnamon, cloves and allspice. Mix in Old Scout and Irish whiskey, then stir and serve with the orange peel.
Cozy up with a soothing beverage, a sweet dessert and your own slice of Almost Heaven. The cold West Virginia temperatures call for hot drinks and sweets to warm you up during the winter months.
Pick out your favorite mug and fill it with hot apple cider, complete with cinnamon sticks, lemon peel and maple syrup. Or, indulge in a cup of hot chocolate with whipped cream and cinnamon on top. Try your coffee mixed with a spoonful of salted caramel.
Indulge your sweet tooth with signature winter desserts like local apple crisp topped with a dollop of vanilla ice cream, white chocolate bread pudding and caramel pecan skillet brownies that are rich and gooey.
Make sure to try these:
A crackling fire. A chilly breeze. A galaxy full of shining stars above.
Winter evenings in Almost Heaven are best spent around a campfire, complete with everyone’s favorite: s’mores.
The classic graham cracker, chocolate bar and marshmallow treat toasted over the fire creates a delicious combination that makes you feel warm inside. In West Virginia, we take our s’mores to the next level. Try these gourmet recipes at your next campfire:
- Sweet & Salty: Graham cracker + bacon + marshmallow + salted caramel chocolate
- Fluffernutter: Chocolate graham cracker + peanut butter + marshmallow fluff
- Strawberry Nutella: graham cracker + strawberries + Nutella + marshmallow
- The Elvis: graham cracker + Reese cup + bananas + marshmallow
Here are some more options to add to your s’more: Oreos, Rice Krispie Treats, Cookie Butter, Coconut, Cinnamon, Pretzels, Snickers, Apples, Peppermint Patties, and Peanut Butter & Jelly.
The cool weather stirs up cravings for warm comfort food and deliciously satisfying dishes. Restaurant across Almost Heaven have started switching to their winter seasonal menus that feature meals sure to soothe the soul – and taste buds.
Get your fill of velvety soups and stews this winter. Savory vegetable soups with rich broths, hearty beef bourguignonnes braised in red wine, and creamy tomato bisques headline Almost Heaven menus.
Dine fireside on entrees featuring roasted chicken and winter root vegetables, buttery and creamy pastas, and casseroles filled with beef, mushrooms and spiced lentils.
These restaurants are must-try during the winter season. Dine in or take to-go for the perfect winter meal:
- Muriale’s Restaurant in Fairmont dishes out homemade Italian favorites sure to keep you full all day long
- The Junction Restaurant and Saloon at Snowshoe Mountain makes for the perfect apres-ski stop
- Drover’s Inn & Tavern in Wellsburg features vintage decor and historic fireplaces
These belly-filling dishes sample all the flavors of a West Virginia winter and create comforting sensations to keep you warm all winter long.