7 movies to cure your cabin fever
Looking for a good movie to watch? We’ve got some we think you might like:
- October Sky – Based on the best-selling book, “Rocket Boys,” October Sky recounts a young boy’s teenage years in a coal mining community in West Virginia in the early 1960s. After learning of the Russians sending Sputnik into orbit, Homer Hickam becomes obsessed with aerospace engineering. The all-star cast includes Jake Gyllenhaal, Chris Cooper and Laura Dern.
- Patch Adams – If you love Robin Williams, this movie is for you! Patch Adams tells the heartwarming story of a medical student who truly pioneers the theory of bedside manners, using humor and compassion to treat patients. Dr. Adams went on to open up Gesundheit! Institute in Hillsboro, West Virginia, a 40-bed hospital that offers free, holistic care to patients.
- Hidden Figures – Did you know that prominent NASA mathematician, Katherine Johnson, was from West Virginia? Hidden Figures tells the story of how Johnson’s flight calculations helped send the first crew into space.
- Hatfields & McCoys – This infamous family feud is one of the most well-known in American history. The Hatfields & McCoys battled bitterly until the U.S Supreme Court had to eventually intervene. The History Channel produced a three-part series on their story and won a Golden Globe Award for best performance by an actor in a mini-series or motion picture made for television.
- Logan Lucky – This comedy follows a West Virginia family and their attempt to rob Charlotte Motor Speedway. Starring Channing Tatum, Daniel Craig and Katie Holmes, this movie will leave you laughing for ages.
- We Are Marshall – Time stopped in Huntington one 1970 November morning, when a plane carrying the Thundering Herd football team, coaches and staff crashed, killing everyone on board. New coach Jack Lengyel, played by Matthew McConaughey, is now tasked with rebuilding the team & community spirit. You won’t finish watching this one with a dry eye!
- Super 8 – While this movie is technically based in a small town in Ohio, much of the filming was actually done in Weirton, West Virginia. Super 8 follows a group of friends making their own movie on Super 8 film, when they capture a train derailment. But that’s where the excitement begins. This science fiction movie was directed by J.J. Abrams and produced by Steven Spielberg.
This post was last updated on August 6, 2020