Our priority is the health and safety of visitors and local communities throughout the Mountain State. The West Virginia Tourism Office and its industry partners are closely monitoring the situation and following the advice of public health officials and government agencies. Travelers are encouraged to check the status of any upcoming reservation, special event and operations of individual businesses before embarking on their trip.
For the most up-to-date information, please utilize the following resources:
- West Virginia-specific information: Call the toll-free hotline 1-800-887-4304 or visit www.coronavirus.wv.gov
- West Virginia Department of Health & Human Resources: www.dhhr.wv.gov/COVID-19
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention – www.cdc.gov
- World Health Organization – www.who.int
Gov. Justice Issues Safer at Home Order & Plan to Reopen
As part of Governor Justice’s plan to reopen, West Virginia Strong: The Comeback, the State of West Virginia is reopening in multiple phases. Each week, Governor Justice announces businesses set to reopen in the following week. At that time, guidance is issued to both travelers and businesses to mitigate exposure and spread of COVID-19. Below is a comprehensive list of reopening guidance issued to-date. Travelers are encouraged to keep reference this page for daily updates.
- Drive-in movie theaters across West Virginia are now open. Guidance was issued and can be accessed here.
- Self-Quarantine Order for out-of-state visitors is tentatively set to be rescinded on 5/21.
- Public and private campgrounds are set to reopen on 5/21. Campground guidance was issued and can be accessed here. Restrictions on out-of-state guests remain in place.
- Hotels, motels, vacation rentals and cabins are now open. Lodging Provider guidance was issued and can be accessed here.
- Restaurants can open indoor dining at 50% occupancy on 5/21. Guidance was issued and can be accessed here. All restaurants remain open for carry-out, drive-through and delivery services.
- Guided Fishing trips can begin 5/15. Guidance was issued and can be accessed here.
- Outdoor Recreation Rental Outfitters may begin rentals on 5/21. Guidance was issued and can be accessed here.
- Hatfield McCoy Trails will reopen 5/21. Guidance was issued and can be accessed here.
- State Park Campgrounds are set to reopen to in-state residents only on 5/21.
- State Park Lodges and Cabins are tentatively set to open to in-state residents on 5/26.
West Virginia Welcome Centers
All West Virginia welcome centers and rest areas remain open to travelers during the State of Emergency declared by Gov. Jim Justice related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Welcome centers and rest areas will continue to be maintained and cleaned, with their restrooms open. However, employees will not be staffing information stations at the welcome centers.