Economic Development Manager
The West Virginia Tourism Office is seeking an Economic Development Manager to recruit, nurture, assist, and promote tourism development projects around the state. This position will report directly to the Tourism Commissioner and Deputy Commissioner and work in coordination with the West Virginia Development Office.
- Cultivate relationships with new and existing tourism businesses
- Work with businesses to prepare Tourism Development Act sales tax credit applications
- Make site visits to tourism businesses to assist with business growth and retention
- Identify gaps in the industry and recruit businesses or events as appropriate
- Gaining an intimate knowledge of all state assistance programs available to businesses including but not limited to site selection, workforce development, tax credits and incentives, and infrastructure development
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Ability to evaluate projects, create action items, and execute plans for tangible outcomes
- Ability to take ownership over projects and meet deadlines
- Ability to work collaboratively with different teams and independently
- Organized, detail oriented and excellent time management skills
- Flexible with changing priorities
- Demonstrated interest in the hospitality/tourism industry
- Ability to travel regularly around the state during work hours and occasionally on longer trips for conferences and seminars
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Proficient in in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
The position is based at the state capitol in Charleston and requires travel throughout the state as well as occasional out-of-state travel. A bachelor’s is required, and professional experience in a relevant position is preferred.
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter to Kara M. Gillenwater, Administrative Assistant, at [email protected]. Cover letters may be addressed to Commissioner Chelsea Ruby.