PUBLIC RELATIONS MANAGER
Charleston, WV | Posted 7/28/2020
The West Virginia Tourism Office is seeking a Public Relations Manager to work with the Marketing & Public Relations team. The PR manager will be responsible for the Tourism Office’s public relations and experiential earned media efforts. Sample duties include:
- Compile responses for ongoing media and photography requests from travel writers, bloggers and social media influencers.
- Produce monthly and seasonal pitching calendars that the Tourism Office can share for short-term and long-term stories.
- Craft quarterly media inspiration guides to be distributed to editors, travel writers and bloggers.
- Responsible for content management and requests received through the Tourism Office’s online press center.
- Actively integrate earned media coverage into content found and shared across WVtourism.com, email marketing and organic social media posts.
- Assist with earned media events and activations, including but not limited to FAM trips, PR pitching conferences, seasonal activations, etc.
- Serve as lead project manager for the annual state travel guide, as well as supplemental season guides or consumer-facing collateral pieces.
- Please note: This responsibility requires a keen sense of detail and superb writing/editing skills.
- Assist with the design and procurement of promotional items and giveaways for media mailers and special events.
- Effectively track and demonstrate the success of proactive public relations efforts, including the constant monitoring of earned media impressions, consumer sentiment and other important KPIs.
In this role, we are seeking a self-starter who can work within timelines and at a fast pace, identify creative story ideas and innovative ideas to pitch and position West Virginia as a world-class travel destination. Additional knowledge and skills required include:
- At least two years of direct work experience in public relations, advertising, communications or a related field.
- Ability to multi-task, organize and prioritize numerous projects and complete them under time constraints.
- Proficient in in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with different teams and independently.
- Organized, detail oriented and excellent time management skills.
- Flexible with changing priorities.
- Ability to travel on occasion to local training or seminars.
A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, such as public relations, marketing, advertising, or communications is required.
This position will report to the Deputy Commissioner and work closely with the Marketing and Public Relations and Executive teams. The job is located at the State Capitol in Charleston and works full-time, regular business hours. Competitive pay and benefits. Some travel required.
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected]. Cover letters may be addressed to Commissioner Chelsea Ruby.