Historic Wheeling, once the state capital, dazzles in Victorian beauty – from frilly homes to the 1,307-foot-long Wheeling Suspension Bridge. Centre Market, which is now home to eateries, antique shops, salons, bakeries and cafes, is a Victorian-era mall that dates back to 1853. The Capitol Theatre, with its garlands, arched windows and scrolled cartouches, has hosted celebrities like Loretta Lynn and Johnny Cash as part of concerts and plays.
The city is a foodie paradise, with crowd favorites like Coleman’s Fish Market, DiCarlo’s Pizza, one of the best burgers in America at Avenue Eats, according to Thrillist. For craft beer lovers, the city boasts two local breweries just steps from one another: Wheeling Brewing Company and Brew Keepers. Afterward, have some fun at the Wheeling Island Hotel-Casino-Racetrack, stop by the Good Zoo at Oglebay or take a walk through Wheeling Park or along the Wheeling Heritage Trail System. Whether it’s family-friendly outdoor adventure or exciting nightlife for couples, Wheeling has what you’re looking for!
- The Wheeling Suspension Bridge spans the Ohio River and was the largest suspension bridge in the world from 1849 until 1851.
- The Centre Market, founded in 1853, is a historic public market that houses various shops, eateries and more.
- The birthplace of West Virginia, West Virginia Independence Hall is a museum dedicated to the history of the state.
- Inspired by Victorian theaters, The Capitol Theatre is an elegant, classic theater that hosts performances of all types.
- Complete with golf courses, a spa and a zoo, Oglebay Resort & Conference Center offers endless year-round activities.
- The Wheeling Nailers, a hockey affiliate of the Pittsburgh Penguins, plays at the WesBanco Arena.
- The Wheeling Island Hotel-Casino-Racetrack offers the best in gaming, entertainment and more.
- The Winter Festival of Lights at Oglebay runs during the holidays and has been named one of the top 10 Best Christmas Light Displays in the US, according to AOL Travel.
- The area’s cultural heritage is celebrated at the Upper Ohio Valley Italian Heritage Festival, which is held each July.
- The only major beer festival in the Northern Panhandle, the Mountaineer Brewfest is a celebration of West Virginia’s finest craft beer.
- The Heritage Music Bluesfest combines blues music with riverfront views each August.
- The Wheeling Heritage Port Sternwheel Festival celebrates sternwheel vessels each summer.
- Wheeling Vintage Raceboat Regatta showcases beautiful wooden hydroplanes and raceboats at speeds up to 140 mph.