Centrally located a few minutes off I-79, Sutton offers a quick and convenient getaway for a romantic weekend or family adventure. In the 1800s, the settlement that would later come to be known as Sutton became a transportation hub due to its proximity to the Elk River and to the West Virginia and Pittsburgh Railroad and the Weston and Gauley Bridge Turnpike. During the early days of the Civil War, the town was occupied by 5,000 Union soldiers when Sutton’s location was identified as critical to the movement of troops. After the war’s end, the town was slowly rebuilt and became a commercial center for the timber industry. Many of the buildings in the Sutton Downtown Historic District date back to 1890-1920.
Today, history meets modern convenience at Café Cimino, an award-winning restaurant and full-service country inn set in a turn-of-the century riverside mansion. Nature lovers can bask in the natural beauty of recreation areas like Sutton Lake and the Elk River Water Trail. And lovers of the arts will find theater, film festivals and live music at several venues in this historic town. Sutton has its quirky charm, too, as part of the region where the legendary Flatwoods Monster was sighted in the 1950s. (Visitors are invited to snap a photo of themselves sitting in one of five handmade Flatwoods Monster Chairs set in each incorporated town in Braxton County.)
- Sutton Lake Marina rents out a variety of boats, jet skis and paddleboards, and provides guided tours of the lake.
- The award-winning Café Cimino Country Inn specializes in fine dining and bed-and-breakfast-style lodging.
- The Elk River Water Trail begins at the tailwaters of the Sutton Dam and passes through three counties.
- The historic Elk Theatre, built in the 1930s, hosts films every weekend as well as special events.
- Landmark Studio for the Arts serves as a venue for art and cultural events and is home to the Landmark Youth Theater Ensemble.
- Mountain Lakes Amphitheater hosts outdoor shows during the summer.
- Holly Gray Park features game courts, picnic sites, a fishing pond and walking trails.
- That Dam Race 5K in July is known for its unique and challenging terrain, including the Sutton Dam itself.
- The Elk River Music and Arts Festival in May is a two-day celebration of music and arts hosted by the Elk Theatre.
- The Elk River Canoe and Kayak Float takes place in early June, beginning at the Sutton Dam.
- The Braxton County Fair takes place in July.