Deep in the heart of Mountaineer Country, Morgantown is home to West Virginia University. Brimming with gold and blue school spirit and a youthful vigor, this college town is growing rapidly and expanding its diverse multicultural heritage. With the university as its economic engine, Morgantown has been named time and time again the best small city in the country.
Whether it’s a football or basketball game, or an art or beer festival, this city is constantly on the go and offers something for everyone. Vibrant nightlife, highly rated restaurants, unique arts, plentiful shopping and outdoor adventure make up this city situated on the Monongahela River. Local farmers markets and theater companies act as central community gathering spaces to mingle and meet new people. For outdoor enthusiasts,there’s no shortage of adventure! Local favorite Coopers Rock State Forest provides beautiful hiking trails and overlooks. Dorsey’s Knob, one of the highest points in Monongalia County, offers panoramic views. Take a bike ride along the Caperton and Deckers Creek Rail-Trails or a hike along the Core Arboretum, which is home to hundreds of native trees and plants. You can even fly through the trees on WVU’s Outdoor Education Center’s zipline canopy tour. Nearby towns of Fairmont, Clarksburg and Bridgeport offer more outdoor adventure, attractions, shopping and dining – and are only a short drive away!
- West Virginia University’s Woodburn Hall is the centerpiece of the University and one of the oldest buildings on campus.
- Mountaineer Field at Milan Puskar Stadium hosts the West Virginia University Mountaineer football team in the NCAA.
- The Personal Rapid Transit System, built in 1970, is a unique rail system that transports students and staff between the two main campuses in town.
- The WVU Coliseum is a 14,000-seat arena that is the home of the West Virginia University Mountaineer basketball team and features a statue of iconic basketball player Jerry West.
- Often referred to as West Virginia’s most beautiful playhouse, the Metropolitan Theatre is a center for drama productions, dance recitals and other activities.
- Dorsey’s Knob Park features Sky Rock, which stands nearly 600 feet above the town of Morgantown – displaying deep valleys and tall pines.
- The Core Arboretum is an outdoor facility for education, research, and recreation located on a 91-acre hillside with 3 miles of foot trails and lawns with planted trees and shrubs.
- The Mon River, Caperton and Deckers Creek Rail-Trails are extensive trail systems that provide space for outdoor recreation, community green space and nature activities.
- West Virginia Black Bears at Monongalia County Ballpark are an affiliate of the Pittsburgh Pirates.
- Mountaineer Week celebrates the heritage of the state during this weeklong celebration.
- MountainFest Motorcycle Rally brings in motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world to ride through the beautiful mountains of West Virginia.
- Dozens of hot air balloons will take off during Balloons over Morgantown, lighting the sky with brilliant bubbles of colorful balloons.
- The West Virginia Wine and Jazz Festival brings together wineries from around the region to sample drinks with live jazz music.